Job security

If you are a full-time Master’s student and worked a TA or RA position in your first year you are guaranteed 130 paid hours of work in your second year of studies; if you are a full-time PhD candidate and received a TA or RA position in your first year you are guaranteed 130 paid hours of work in your second, third, fourth and fifth years of study. Each individual department is responsible for posting a list of all the persons for whom it must respect an obligation for reappointment and for informing its graduate students about this list by June 30 of each year.

Funding from CUPE 2626

CUPE 2626 offers different sources of funding to help members with expenses related to tuition fees, cost of dependent care, presenting at academic conferences, organizing projects, and coping with unforeseen circumstances.

CUPE 2626 members can apply to these Funds:

Click here to learn more or apply to one of our Funds.

Scholarships and bursaries for uOttawa students

You can find and apply for various scholarships and bursaries available to uOttawa students.

To do so, access the University’s online research engine.

Conference travel grants

The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies offer travel grants for graduate students that present a publication directly related to your thesis at a conference.

To apply, visit the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies’ website.

Financial Aid from GSAÉD

The Graduate Student Association (GSAÉD) offers financial support for graduate students that participate in conferences, organize their own academic events or find themselves  in dire financial need due to unforeseen circumstances.

To learn more, visit GSAÉD’s website.

Food Bank

No student should need to choose between buying food or textbooks. Any member of the University of Ottawa community — undergrad students as well as graduate students — can access the various services provided by the Student Federation at the University of Ottawa’s Food Bank.

To learn more, visit the Food Bank’s website.