Collective Agreement of Teaching Assistants, Research Assistants, Markers and Proctors


Bylaws of CUPE 2626

CUPE National Constitution


On this page, you will find forms and other documents that you may need as an unionized employee, along with information pertaining to your T4 income tax slip. This page also provides useful instructions to help you access your employee email inbox, where important documents are often sent. Please click the links below to get more information on each item.



If you have a contract as a teaching or research assistant, marker, proctor, etc., at the University of Ottawa, you are considered to be an employee of the University, in addition to your status as a student. As an employee, you should receive a notice from the University regarding the availability of your T4 slip at some point in the Winter semester, usually in February or early March.

Like any other information or document related to your work as an employee of the University, your T4 slip should be sent to you by email to your employee inbox, or by mail. It is an important document needed to file your income tax return. Your T4 is available on My HR Profile, which you can access from the uOttawa Human Resources page.

T4/T4A: Important Differences

Your T4 differs from other forms (such as the T4A) available in uoAccess under “My taxes” which are related to being a student (T4A, T2202A, U-Pass, RL-8). Unlike these forms, your T4 is related to your employee status, and is available on My HR Profile.

Both the T4 and the T4A can display similar amounts, although they play different roles. The University sends a notice regarding T4 slips to your employee email address, which may be different from your student email.

What to do if your T4 slip has not been issued

If your T4 slip has not been issued, if it is not in your employee account, or if you did not receive it, please contact Human Resources by phone at 613-562-5832 or by email at The Human Resources Office is located in Tabaret Hall, room 019. If you encounter problems while attempting to reach Human Resources, please contact us by email at, or by phone at 613-562-5345.


As an employee of the University of Ottawa, you may have an employee email address different from your student email address. Your employee email address should be located on your most recent contract, where you’ll also find your employee number. You should check your employee inbox periodically to make sure you do not miss important notices. You can also access your VirtuO employee account (similar to your student uoAccess account) (see below).

How to access your employee account and inbox

Member in Good Standing

Employees who work within the charter of a Local Union can apply for membership in the Local Union by filing an application for membership card and become a Member in Good Standing.

What does it mean to be a Member in Good Standing?

Any employee who works in a CUPE bargaining unit can become a Member in Good Standing by applying for membership. Only a Member in Good Standing can fully participate in the activities of the Local and National Union. This means only a Member in Good Standing can attend and vote at General Membership Meetings, run for any elected Union positions, vote in those elections, and participate as a delegate of the Local Union.

Any employee who is not a Member in Good Standing remains a Rand Formula payee.

What does it mean to be a Rand Formula payee?

The Rand Formula establishes the legality of automatic dues from all those covered by a collective agreement. This prevents “free-riders” or workers who would benefit from the activities of the union but do not want to pay dues.

These employees pay dues as outlined in the local union bylaws and deducted by the employer through a collective bargaining agreement.

A Rand Formula payee is an employee in a bargaining unit who pays union dues according to the applicable collective agreement and Local Union bylaws but who has not gone through the process of becoming a Member in Good Standing of the union.

Note: Rand Formula payees have the right to be represented by the Local Union for violations of the collective agreement in accordance with the duty of fair representation legislation.

If you would like to become a Member in Good Standing fill out this form or stop by our office (85 University Private, University Centre, suite 303) to fill out a card.